ACT Spectacles Subsidy Scheme
The ACT Community Services Directorate administers the ACT Concessions Program. The program aims to improve the affordability of essential services for low-income residents of the ACT.
The Scheme provides eligible ACT residents with one subsidised pair of either trifocal or bifocal spectacles or two separate pairs of single vision spectacles (one each for distance and near sight) from the one prescription in any 24-month period.
Contact lenses are available only where there is a demonstrated medical need (as certified by the relevant Optometrist or Ophthalmologist). The Scheme will provide assistance of up to $100 in these cases.
Each client is expected to pay a contribution of $22 (including GST) towards the cost of the spectacles or contact lenses.
Any non-prescription upgrades required by the client will be at their own expense. Multifocal lenses are not provided under the Scheme. Where these are required, the scheme contributes to the value of a trifocal lens and the client is required to pay the difference.
Eligible people for the Scheme must be residents of the ACT and hold:
- A Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) from either Centrelink or the Department of Veteran's Affairs.
Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
- A Centrelink Health Care Card (HCC) which the holder has been entitled to for three months or more. Dependants of cardholders are also entitled to assistance under the Scheme if their names appear on the card.
- Attend an optometrist of your choice and obtain your prescription.
- Fill in an application form, which is available from the spectacle outlets listed below.
- Produce your concession card as this will have to be copied.
For further information contact the Spectacles Scheme Administrator at ACT Community Services Directorate on 6207 7753 or 6205 0534.
Registered Providers of subsidised spectacles under the ACT Spectacles Scheme and the Seniors Spectacle Scheme are:
- Budget Eyewear Westfields Belconnen 6251 8799
- Budget Eyewear Tuggeranong Hyperdome 6293 3699
- Budget Eyewear Cooleman Court Weston 6288 0599
- Curtin Optical Curtin Shopping Centre 6281 1220
- Eye Q Eyewear Queanbeyan 6299 2020
- Greg King Eyewear Centrepoint 6247 2057
- Home Specs Scullin 6278 4100 and 0412439550
- Laubman & Pank - Belconnen 6251 9066
- Laubman & Pank - Woden 6281 4817
- Laubman & Pank Tuggeranong 6293 1444
- Look of Australia Baileys Arcade 6257 1709
- MacKinley Optical 6248 9100
- Matthew Arcidiacono Optometrists City 6248 6130
- Matthew Arcidiacono Optometrists Woden 6281 4817
- OPSM Tuggeranong Hyperdome 6293 1133
- OPSM Canberra Centre 6249 7344
- OPSM Westfields Belconnen 6251 4245
- OPSM Riverside Plaza, Queanbeyan 6299 4411
- OPSM Woden Plaza 6282 1043
- Peter Dodds Optometrist Erindale 6296 3540
- Simpson optometry 6162 0121
- Unique Optical Optometrist Manuka Village 6295 0137